Magento and Bigcommerce: the Pros and Cons
The benefits of using Bigcommerce for your online store
- Easy to use admin user interface. Bigcommerce is designed for people who can manage their store easily without developer’s help. Most of the store settings are easily understandable and unlike Magento its not hidden in the complex user interface.
- Bigcommerce handles hosting, which is a major plus point. It also manages the security of your store, so as a store owner you do not need to worry about these things.
- Bigcommerce is bit more user friendly when it comes to theme management & customisation, from the store owner’s point of view.
- It has a wide range of themes from which you can choose and click to install theme for your store. Magento has this functionality as well but its not as straight forward as Bigcommerce.
- Easy integration with third-party systems. For example in Bigcommerce, its easy to integrate with accounting software Xero (using extension), Google shopping feeds(in built), etc.
- Customer support from Bigcommerce may be limited in many situations.
It depends on the size of your store however Bigcommerce starts at $29.95/month with their most popular plan being $79.95/month. Find out more here.
The benefits of using Magento for your online store
- Magento is open source software. This means it can be customised & extended as needed. Magento has a big community of developers online so its easy to find solutions & extensions for specific requirements, compared to Bigcommerce. As Magento is opensource, its also easy to find developers in web development agencies, which is not the case with Bigcommerce.
- Magento is scalable. Magento’s architecture is designed with growth in mind. So in future, if your store needs to extend, it can be easily achieved.
- Custom theming in Magento is developer friendly. A developer can customise and extend your store the way you want. New things can be added or removed from the pages easily too. It gives complete control of the look & feel of the store. In Bigcommerce, we need to work with their systems restrictions, which can sometimes become a big hurdle for what you want to achieve.
- Magento also have a huge range of third-party extensions available in the “Magneto Connect” marketplace. It is very likely that we can find and modify an extension that closely matches your requirements.
- Need to control hosting environment including security issues
- Performance could be a issue for poorly configured Magento store
Magento is open source so it is free. However hosting plan pricing should be taken into consideration.
Magento Enterprise Edition’s pricing varies.
When you should choose Bigcommerce over Magneto
- When your store just needs basic SEO, hosting and easily configurable interface for basic requirements.
- When you are not concerned about future growth that much and just want to get started quickly.
- When your third-party dependencies are minimal. You may not find extensions for everything in Bigcommerce.
- When you don’t need extensive customisation. Many advance/power user things are not possible in Bigcommerce due to their restrictions.
When you should choose Magento over Bigcommerce
- When you want to have total control over your online system. Meaning, hosting, security, data and integrations can be changed and managed by you as a store owner.
- When you have extensive customisation requirements. For example, certain types of shipping calculations, payment methods, customer group pricing, tax requirements based on region, product pricing based on customer groups, same store & different pricing for different language users, different prices for wholesale and retail and different admin interface for people in your organisations.
- When you want to keep future scalability in mind without major restructuring of the existing system.
- When you really want to trade on an enterprise level, check out the features of Magneto Enterprise.